Senior Insights & Intelligence (I&I) Analyst
Job Family Group: Insights & Intelligence
Reports To (Title): Head of Insights & Intelligence Asia
Location: Tokyo, Japan*
*For the first 3- 6 months in Taipei, thereafter Tokyo.
Job Profile Summary Description
Reporting to Head of Insights & Intelligence Asia Cluster, Senior I&I Analyst will support the understanding of the macro environment, consumption dynamics, pricing and competitor P&L, trade and detail dynamics and manufacturer market share performance throughout the Cluster, leading the forecasting process across all product categories to anticipate the future trends of the market and our brands with a particular focus on Japan and Taiwan.
Additionally the role will support business case building and scenario planning alongside pricing.
- Use multiple analytical tools and methodologies to assess macro encironment, market dynamics, competition, demand shifts and trands, etc. in Tobacco, E-Vapour Products (EVP) and Heated Tobacco (HT).
- Develop consumer offtake forecast for market size, segment size and brand share
- Develop/validate in-market-sales shipment forecast using offtake forecast as input
- Responsible for selecting the appropriate statistical models for the baseline forecast and modelling of specific events, one-off impacts and new product intdocutions
- Prepare the forecast performance review and conduct a cross-functional forecast sign-off, protecting the integrity of the forecast while coming to an agreed position
- Understand effectiveness of KPIs and reasons they are or are not met, review performance and KPIs
- Conduct scenario planning models to qualify strategic opportunities and choices in Asia cluster
- Build business cases where additional investment is required outside of the approval plan
- Provide Market Leadership & Cluster I&I with regular reporting and reviews on cluster and market performance with insights and recommendations on improvements which can be made
- Facilitate the decision of pricing strategy following market's share, revenue and profit targets
- Oversee price modelling (elasticity, conjoint, trend analysis) and excise modelling (scenario simulation)
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Expert in data processing and statistical analyses
- Pricing and excise expert
- Creative thinking and problem solver
- Commercial acumen and broad overall business perspective
- Ability to work flexibly and under pressure - often to short or changing deadlines
- Ability to synthesise complex issues into simple messages
- Good communication and presentation skills
- English language capability
- Experience within E-Vapour Products (EVP) and Heated Tobacco (HT)
- Experience with statistical analysis tools, SPSS, R or any other
- High level of interpersonal skill
- Japanese language capability
About Imperial Tobacco, Imperial Tobacco Japan and Asia Cluster
With a long history, Imperial Tobacco remains a business that is innovating and bringing new products to market. At the same time, Imperial Tobacco Japan, our Japanese business, is a young and vibrant organisation that is experiencing huge growth, particularly in the electronic cigarette and vaping market.
Modern and flexible, we are an organisation with big ambitions and strong values centred on a positive future. This means delivering high quality products for tobacco consumers but more importantly to consumers that want to enjoy products at a reduced risk, being able to use them anywhere and at any time without impacting others around them. The Japan team is constantly looking to innovate, to offer a best-in-class consumer experience, and to surprise our consumers with next generation products.
The Asia Cluster currently comprises 8 markets (Japan, Taiwan, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, South Korea, Hong Kong and Macao) with diverse dynamics: Japan as the epicentre and frontline of Next Generation Products (NGP) worldwide where we have successfully introduced myblu and recently launched Pulze/iD, Taiwan being the mothership of the Cluster from a profit delivery through a strong 6% Share on Market with Davidoff, and developing markets in South East Asia with very different demographic and economic trends compared to Northern Asia. Additionally, new footprints are being scoped to continue establishing our NGP presence beyond Japan.